Flashwaves radio triggers - after playing a bit, still impressive!  

Posted in , , , ,

Well, I got to play a bit tonight. I was able to trigger them reliably at about 250 feet (line of sight, with the transmitter antenna raised - with it down, it was about 175 feet). That's quite a bit further than the cactus triggers - they stopped at about 100-125 feet. It's definitely not in the pocketwizard range (which they claim 1600 feet) but it's farther than I can see needing. The falloff was pretty much cut and dry. When it triggered, it ALWAYS triggered. When I was too far away, it NEVER triggered. Surprising, actually, but nice that it had such a small grey area.

The build still surprises me. This feels like Canon or Nikon OEM quality - nothing flimsy, nothing protruding in weird places, nothing loose or rattling. Even the antenna on the transmitter, which is movable, feels nice and tight. How it will last over the long haul, only time will tell - but it feels much more solid than Canon's ST-E2 transmitter, which has always felt very toy-like in build to me.

The size of the transmitter is very nice. It's hardly noticable on top of my camera, very light and out of the way. The receiver could actually be a bit larger, IMHO. It's small enough to fit 4 in my inner zipper pocket of my camera bag (where I usually put a filter and some business cards). By going with a larger receiver, they could have used AA batteries (rather than AAAs) or a larger receiver antenna (which might increase the distance?).

I've also attached one of the self-adhesive coldshoe mounts to my alien bee - that's really nice. It also came with a 1/8"->1/8" male adapter, so I could just plug it straight into the alien bee, but I think over time, that might stress the plug too much and cause damage. The cord that was included is super nice - sturdy, coiled, and just the right length. It's nice that they included practically every cord / adapter you'd realistically need. They do offer a camera remote adapter separately ($15 I think?), but other than that, it comes with the PC, 1/8", and 1/4" adapters, plus lots of brackets / screw mounts / shoe mounts you'll need. Again, the built in hot shoe - perfect. With this receiver, I can put a light right on any of my light stands without a single adapter. Of course, there's enough different ports there to attach anything to it!

I'm quite impressed overall. I'll have more of a review after next weekend, but so far, they get an A.

Durability / Feel: A+
Size: A
Distance: B
Reliability: A+
Features: A
Accessories: A+
Price: A

Hope this helps someone!

Shan

This entry was posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 at Friday, March 20, 2009 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I love these little guys as well. What'd I'd love to know, however, is how to use them to trigger a camera. I hear it's possible, but can't figure it out!

Thanks for your review, and I agree completely with your assessment. :)

April 17, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Hey Sansen,

If your camera has a 1/8" miniphone jack for the remote, you just use the included cord with the receiver and plug it in (like it was a flash). If your camera uses a different jack for the remote, you'll need the adapter from g9chon.com. They run about $15.

Hope this helps!

Shan

April 17, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Anonymous  

I love them also. Thanks for your detailed review.

Looks like they are sold on Amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/FlashWave2-Wireless-Remote-Trigger-System/dp/B002X246BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261417276&sr=8-1

December 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Post a Comment