Hacked!  

Posted in

Well, if you've visited our website in the last few days, you probably noticed that we were recently hacked. We're still working on restoring everything, so please bear with us.

It looks like there was a security issue on the server. IX has been great about it though - they actually replaced the actual server, patched the hole, and restored our site. They're working on restoring a previous backup, so we have everything back to the way it was though.

This brings me to my point - if you have a website, it's probably a good idea to keep regular local backups as well. What I mean is by using FTP, actually downloading your site to your local computer. I had most of it locally, but there were a few things that I had to rely on IX for. This means I have to wait for them to load my backup, along with any other customers they have that were affected. If I had everything on my local computer, I could have had it restored a few days earlier.

I'm back though, and I have quite a few weddings to share with you, but I thought I'd give you guys an update!

Shan

This entry was posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 at Friday, August 15, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

FYI, I use rsync over ssh to update my site, not ftp since ftp sends everything in plain text, including your username and password... :(

your provider may provide you with sftp, which would work also...

-Frank (bothering you with linux stuff already! LOL!)

August 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Post a Comment